Early College Magnet Program
Graduate from Piner High School with up to a year of college credit!
Find us on Facebook under "Piner Early College Magnet Program"
Applications are being accepted for the 2013-2014 School Year
Juniors in the Early College Magnet Program tour UC Berkeley in Spring 2012:
Piner High School and Santa Rosa Junior College have joined in an educational
partnership to offer the Piner High School-SRJC Early College Magnet Program
to qualified incoming 9th graders. This exceptional educational
opportunity provides Piner students with accelerated learning in the company
of other college bound students, while preserving their high school
experience in sports, drama, music, student government, and other
- Freshmen and sophomores enroll in specific classes at PHS geared to
prepare them for college success.
- As juniors and seniors, students take four courses at Piner and two
courses per semester at Santa Rosa Junior College.
- Free tuition and book expenses are provided for up to 30 college
- Free transportation to and from SRJC is provided for students
enrolled in college courses between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Students may choose to transfer approximately one year of college credit
to one of the campuses of the California UC or CSU system.
- Students may choose to stay at SRJC an additional year and complete
a career certificate in a qualifying field, earn an AA degree, or
transfer to a UC or CSU as a junior.
- Pursue post secondary education
- Devote minimum of two hours daily to homework
- Participate in Early College Magnet activities
- Attend SRJC support counseling classes.
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative grade point average at PHS and the SRJC
- Complete all Santa Rosa City Schools high school graduation requirements
- Abide by all SRCS & SRJC rules
Student Support Provided by Piner:
- A dedicated Counselor who works with students to create an Individual
- An onsite program coordinator
- Rigorous college preparatory courses
- Support classes Junior & Senior year
- Free transportation to and from SRJC for Monday-Friday morning and
- Teachers knowledgeable of expected student outcomes in the program
Student Support Provided by SRJC:
- Free college textbooks and class tuition - Up to 30 units
- Access to library & research facilities
- Access to tutoring center
- An SRJC counselor with knowledge of magnet program and college
- Resource room for PHS students on the SRJC campus
- Ongoing collaboration with PHS staff
- SRJC support classes at PHS:
Counseling 270 (Introduction to College)
Counseling 60 (Effective Study Workshop)